Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Just the way it goes (I guess)

Last time around, I physically drove our home study and power of attorney forms down to Indianapolis to receive state authentication. This time around, I thought I would take the advice of a fellow adoptive friend and merely overnight it down to Indi. She had done this and received the documents back in two days, everything a.o.k. Last Friday, I overnighted the docs down to the state office where they would be sitting, bright and early Monday morning. And yay, they arrived back at my doorstep today!

Great news....or is it?

Somehow, they managed to put my documents back into the return (overnight $$$) envelope and send them back to me....without doing a darn thing to them. That's right. Absolutely ZERO state certification. No rejection letter. Nada. I got a huge lump in my throat (hey, I'm emotional these days), and called the office responsible for certification. The woman who answered the phone only had the following response: "That has never happened in this office before." Um, okay, great. What should I do? "Resend them." Right, so now I'm out ANOTHER $40 to overnight the darn things there and back. I left a very nasty message on her supervisor's voice mail and a very nasty note in the package. I swear, if they come back with nothing on them again...

there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.

*deep breath*

Roll with the punches, eh? This is not the worst thing in the world, although I really could have used that extra $40.

Anyone want to hazard a guess at my odds of getting the state to reimburse me for that extra $$$?

Yeah, I thought not.

2 comments:

Jill said...

DUDE...given, your life is PSYCHO, so maybe finding the TIME to do this is hopeless, but you need to write a letter to them, with your receipt for postage, explain the situation, and demand a refund. There is NO doubt!! You shouldn't have to pay $40 because people are morons!!!!

Christina said...

Thanks Jill! This is exactly my thought as well. It's really too bad you don't live closer - we could totally go in and kick some ass ourselves :).